Phil Hauck's TEC Blog

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

About the Power Outage This Past Weekend

We were out for 32 hours … from 11:30 AM on Saturday until Sunday evening.
It’s a wakeup call to how much we depend on electricity being there!
No hot coffee when I woke up.  Only cold water for washing dishes in the sink.  Couldn't wash or dry dirty, sweaty clothes.
When I walked into a darkened room, or went to the basement, I flipped on the switch, and NOTHING!
It was hot and muggy.  But all I could do was sit there … no fan to turn on, no air conditioner to turn on.
No computer … where I do much of my reading.
Couldn’t watch the British Open!!!
Freezing shower!  Quickest one I’ve ever taken.  No hot water.
When I went to bed, completely still.  No fan to get the air moving.  Muggy.
Then, the freezer food and refrigerator food began to melt/heat up.  Spent Sunday afternoon taking food to three friends who had room in their freezers.
And then, five hours later, the electricity went back on.

1 comment:

  1. Phil, We definitely struggle without electricity. It's a big flap and there is a lot of complaining here in our retirement community when the power goes out! I remember power going out in Chicago years back and we were headed out of town on vacation. We gave away about $250.00 worth of meat we had in the freezer. Unless the USA gets its act together and upgrades its power grid, we can expect many more outages in the years to come. Take Care, Dave

    ReplyDelete